I member a very superior young man who found three little girls extremely tiresome to deal with.
疑问:经常看到这样句尾一个动介词组(动词+介词),请问它后面不是一定要加成分么?
▲你的句子中的 member 是不是有拼写笔误,是否是 remember?
句中的extremely tiresome to deal with 用作后置定语,修饰名词 girls,相当于定语从句:who are extremely tiresome to deal with.
全句意思:我记得有一位非常优秀的年轻人,他发现有三个小女孩,要应付她们确实很烦。
▲句末的“动词+介词”到底要不要接成分(你说的这个成分其实就是指介词的宾语),要看具体情况:
◎若句末的“动词+介词”与前面的某个成分构成语法上的动宾关系,则这个句末介词不能再加宾语。如:
He is difficult to deal with. 他很难打交道。
He’s very easy to get on with. 他容易相处。
She’s great fun to be with. 同她在一起很有意思。
He’s a tricky fellow to do business with. 他诡计多端,不好与他做生意。
I need a spoon to eat this ice-cream with. 我需要一个匙子来吃冰激凌。
The baby is too much for her to cope with. 孩子太麻烦她难以对付。
I must go at once, but I have no one to leave the baby with. 我得马上走,但我找不到人照顾我的孩子。
He’s tough to work with.=It’s tough to work with him.=It’s tough working with him.=He’s a tough person to work with. 他是个难以共事的人。
◎否则就要加宾语。如:
They would not cooperate with him. 他们不愿与他合作。
Hard work does not agree with him. 艰苦的工作对他不适宜。
I do not approve of your going out with him. 我不赞成你同他一起出去。
Perhaps he will sell his house more cheaply if you bargain with him. 你如果同他讨价还价,也许他的房子会卖得便宜些。
◎注意:有个别固定短语,它虽然与前面的成分没有动宾关系,但也不后接宾语。如:
The club had only six members to start with. 这个俱乐部开始时只有6个人。
To begin with, I do not like its colour. 首先,我不喜欢它的颜色。
We can’t go. To begin with, it’s too cold. Besides,we’ve no money. 我们不去了,首先是太冷了,另外我们又没有钱。