在语法书上好像没有见到程度形容词之说。但英语中确实有少数几个形容词能起到程度副词或强调成分的作用,这类形容词有的语法著作称之为“强调形容词”。这类形容词主要的有:absolute, complete, entire, out-and-out, outright, perfect, positive, pure, sheer, total, utter 等。
He’s an absolute donkey. 他是个十足的蠢驴。
She was a complete stranger who I mistook for my friend’s sister. 她是个我根本不认识的陌生人,我却把她误认为是我朋友的妹妹。
We are in entire agreement with you. 我们完全同意你的意见。
Much of what has been written about us is out-and-out lies. 关于我们的报道大都是彻头彻尾的胡编乱造。
She could not tell him an outright lie. 她无法对他彻头彻尾地撒谎。
She was a perfect fool. 她愚蠢至极。
Her behaviour was a positive outrage. 她的行为残暴到了极点。
The whole story is a pure invention. 这一切纯属虚构。
To my utter amazement, he arrived on time. 令我惊异不已的是,他居然准时赶到了。
By sheer coincidence, my husband and I have the same birthday. 纯粹是巧合,我与我丈夫同一天过生日。